2013 ‘William J. Mitchell Me++: The cyborg self and the networked city‘, book review, Information, Communication and Society, online early [subscription required].
2012 ‘Futures in the making: practices for for anticipating ubiquitous computing‘ Environment and Planning A 44 (7): pp. 1554-1569 [subscription required].
2012 ‘Towards Peer-to-Peer Alternatives: An interview with Michel Bauwens‘, Culture Machine 13 [open access].
2012 (Editorial) ‘Paying Attention: Towards a critique of the attention economy‘ Culture Machine 13, with Patrick Crogan [open access].
2011 ‘Anticipating ubiquitous computing: logics to forecast technological futures‘, Geoforum, 42 (2): pp. 231-240 [subscription required].
2010 ‘Representing ‘things to come’: feeling the visions of future technologies‘, Environment and Planning A, 42 (11): pp. 2771-2790 [subscription required].
Pearce, N. Weller, M. Scanlon, E. Kinsley, S. 2010 “Digital scholarship considered: How new technologies could transform academic work”, In Education 16 (1) [open access].
2007 ‘Anticipating futures: engineering expectations of ubiquitous computing‘, International Science Grid This Week [online], 21st November 2007.
I currently have several manuscripts in varying states of completion:
- Beyond the screen: methods for investigating life ‘online’ [forthcoming], Geography Compass
- The matter of virtual geographies [under review]
- Kitchin & Dodge ‘Code/Space: Software and everyday life’, book review, Dialogues in Human Geography [submitted]
- The promise and problematic of pervasive media [in draft]
- Inventing ‘CoolTown’, investigating past futures [in outline]
and two working papers: ‘Embracing entanglements – Problematising the cosmopolitics of mobile communications technologies’ and ‘The Matter of Heterogeneous Associations’.
Conference and workshop papers
The promise and problematic of pervasive media (with Jonathan Dovey) presented in the session: ‘Geographies of Media 4: New Media’ at the AAG Annual International Conference 2012.
Materiality, spatial media, and collective urban life (with Matthew Wilson, U. Kentucky) presented in the session: Collective Life and Urban Space (2): Exploring Materialities and Practices at the RGS-IBG Annual International Conference 2011.
Futures of Pervasive Media in the making presented in the session: The promise and problematic of Pervasive Media at the MeCCSA Annual Conference 2011, Salford.
Futurity in the making: communities of practice in the anticipation of ‘ubiquitous computing’ presented in the session: Geography and the Future (3): The presence of the future at the RGS-IBG Annual International Conference 2010.
Yesterday’s Tomorrows – Envisioning Ubiquitous Computing presented in the session: The promise and problematic of technology: (Re)thinking bodies, spaces and times session at the RGS-IBG Annual International Conference 2008.
Laying claim to technological futures presented in the Governing Technologies(I) – Representation, participation and governance in the ‘digital age’ session of the AAG Annual Conference 2008, Boston.
Disciplinary edges and the Socio-technical presented at the Doing Theory workshop held in February in the School of Geographical Sciences.
Conferences & Workshops
- The promise and problematic of Pervasive Media at the MeCCSA Annual Conference 2011, Salford
- The promise and problematic of technology: (Re)thinking bodies, spaces and times session at the RGS-IBG Annual Conference 2008
- Self-Publishing & Participatory Media Workshop – Guest facilitator David Brake of Media@LSE.
Panel chair and online editor:
- Paying Attention: Digital Media and Generational Responsibility, Linköping, Sweden, September 2010
- Access All Areas, Watershed Media Centre Bristol, May 2010